Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Kernel Documentation
To: Girish Wadhwani <girishw@visto.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2001 05:35:45
--ijf6z65S790CMqo8

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:42:19PM -0700, Girish Wadhwani wrote:
> I was wondering where I could find documentation of the NetBSD
> kernel? I am interested in design, kernel features, driver interfaces,
> etc.

You'll probably want to go read McKusick's "Design and Implementation
of 4.4 BSD" for a general background.

There's not a whole lot of documentation specific to the NetBSD
kernel. http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/ and
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/programming.html may be
helpful if you're willing to tinker a bit to learn.

If you're interested especially in virtual memory, you're in luck,
as Chuck Cranor's (extremely well-written) dissertation on UVM's
design lives at http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/tech/uvm/.

Beyond that, grab a copy of src/sys and play around. (Sure, it'd be
nice if this were all documented better--at least with subsystems
described as well as Chuck does UVM--but the people who are good
candidates to do that are usually too interested in making stuff
work better. :^>)

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--ijf6z65S790CMqo8