Subject: PCI puc serial devices with varying number of UARTs?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/22/2001 17:35:44
I've obtained a number of PCI multiport serial serial (puc) cards
which don't quite match the lines or comments in sys/dev/pci/puc_data.c:
 * a two-port Dolphin card (4036?) with a PCI id which according
   to the Dolphin docs comes in both one- and two-port versions.
   (The  entry in  puc_data for the matching PCI header is
    for an unconfirmed one-port card: 4025).

 *  A four-port SIIG card, socketed for four UARTs.
   it ships with  two installed but supports two more (just insert
   sockets, wire up wire-wrap pins, and go).

If I were to commit an entry for (e.g) the 2-port Dolphin 4036, will
that cause a single-port Dolphin 4025 to configure as one devices, or
as two? If the latter (which is my reading), is that acceptable, or
something we should fix?

(Same issue goes for the SIIG chip, if populated in the field; but how
common is that?)