Subject: Re: chroot jail for ftpd
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/2001 17:21:33

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 04:47:30PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Yeah, let's do a special-purpose hack instead of actually enforcing the
> consistent rule that executable code has to come from an executable file.
> Gack.

Hrm. Well, when you put it that way...

But we have the unfortunate problem that enforcing this rule
consistently is something that we have been *not* doing for a very
long time. It's also something that other Unix-like operating
systems have been not doing for a very long time. (And probably
won't start doing any time soon.)

Doing it right sounds great. But maybe with, a little leniency about
the immediacy of the change?

       ~ g r @

Comment: For info see