Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/arm/arm32
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/2001 10:43:54
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:20:57PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

 > We aren't in pmap_enter.  This is pmap_pinit, which is called from
 > pmap_create().  As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism for this to
 > fail.

Ah, yes, pmap_create() is allowed to sleep...  So, this is okay, then...

But a further improvement might be to allocate the L1 table when it
is first referenced in pmap_enter(), and release it when the last
reference to it goes away (via a mapping removal).  This would allow
a process to give up a precious L1 table for another process that
needs it when memory is extremely scarce (e.g. give it up when the
process is swapped out -- see pmap_collect()).