Subject: Mylex eXtremeRAID -current driver problems
To: tech-kern <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Melomedman <dmelomed@devonitnet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2001 15:16:10
Hi. I am trying to install NetBSD on a machine with Mylex eXtremeRAID 1100
aka DAC1164P aka DAC1100 on a Athlon PC with AMD 761 chipset if that helps.
I know the hardware is not faulty since other OSes run just fine on it.
Here's the part of my dmesg output:

mlx0 at pci3 dev 8 function 0: Mylex RAID (v5 interface)
mlx0: interrupting at irq 10
mlx0: initializing (may take some time)...
mlx0: initialization complete
mlx0: DAC1164PVX, 2 channels, firmware 5.08-0-87, 16MB RAM
ld0 at mlx0 unit 0: RAID1, online
ld0: 17357 MB, 8816 cyl, 64 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35547136 sectors
vendor 0x1069 product 0xba55 (RAID mass storage) at pci3 dev 9 function 0
not configured

Then, about every two seconds I am receiving the following messages from the
kernel:

mlx0: periodic enquiry failed - software timeout (0xdead)
mlx0: bad completion returned

I was able to create a NetBSD partition and FSes, but while extracting
packages, most writes to the disk failed and kernel went into panic later.
This seems like a geometry issue, but I could be wrong.

Shouldn't that controller be detected as mly, and not mlx, and hence the
error messages? What about that pci 3 dev 9 unconfigured message? Any help
would be greately appreciated.

--
Dan