Subject: Re: sys_sbrk()? sys_sstk()?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2001 22:24:56
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
> How, exactly, would we replace sbrk with mmap()?  By keeping a s3kr1t
> global that's the highest address that has ever been returned and
> mapping there with MAP_FIXED?

If you look at how brk/sbrk are implemented, they also already keep
secret global state in userland that tells you the highest address
that has been hit. This would be no different.

The real issue, of course, is whether we can make mmap guarantee that
adjacent mappings with identical properties are coalesced.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com