Subject: Re: COMPAT_SUNOS process memory map question
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2001 19:27:39
christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:
> Old sun binaries might have mapped page 0 to 0, so that *0 does not
> core dump (remember the vax :-). This is just speculation.

If I remember right, that was never the case. Back in the early days
the thing that made compiling apps for suns a bitch was that they were
the platform that shook out all the NULL vs '\0' bugs in all the
software. Reading page zero caused a fault. I remember having this
trouble on the Sun 1's and Sun 2's at Columbia all the time -- got
very good at finding that sort of bug.

Of course, I could just be getting senile.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com