Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/11/2001 11:44:35
--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:54:37AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net> writes:
> >
> > > what disk it was. new drives (like 2-4GB or larger) doesn't accept
> > > any other settings that default.
> >
> > Of course they do. The magic to change blocksize differs between
> > manufacturers, but usually there is some way to change it.

Uhm, there is a mode sense/mode set page with the format parameters. If the
functionality is there at all, it is supposed to be there.

> will it give more space with larger sectors?

I would be very surprised. If they do it at all, they just group more
logical 512-blocks together. Or split bigger data sectors into less parts.

E.g., some disks I have tried to remap only remap four 512-blocks at once,
so obviously the real blocksize (without FEC codes, crc etc.) is 2048.

Regards,
	-is

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko--