Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/11/2001 11:41:06
--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:26:39PM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:03:25PM -0700, Trevin Beattie wrote:
> > >The branch is abandoned at the moment. Among other things, Chuck Silve=
rs,
> > >who has done the UBC work, has followed on with a different approach (=
one
> > >of the other PRs). As he is making things happen and I am not in a
> > >position to work on it, I'll let him finish things up.
> >=20
> > Is there any documentation of his efforts and progress?
>=20
> I haven't done anything on this lately.  the last time I felt motived,
> I tried to reformat a scsi disk to 1024 bytes/sector using a hacked
> scsictl from bill, but I didn't have much luck.  there were driver proble=
ms.

Not every scsi disk does support this at all nowadays - remember, you need
a couple levels of forward error correction and n-out-of-m-bit encodings to
see any meaningful data with modern bit densities, so the user-visible block
size is probably fixed.

But some media are !=3D 512 - some MO use 1024 bytes, some 2048 bytes.
CD in data mode also uses 2048 bytes.

Regards,
	Ignatios

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP