Subject: Re: Supporting sector size != DEV_BSIZE
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/2001 10:40:59
--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 04:19:41AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > Harder to ignore is the 2352 byte sectors of audio CD:s.
>=20
> Speaking of audio CDs...so far, every time I've tried to read (as
> opposed to play) one, I've gotten complaints from the kernel about
> "Illegal Mode For This Track".  Does this mean I need to use something
> more sophisticated than just dropping the disc in the drive and running
> dd, does it mean all the drives I've tried have been recalcitrant, does
> it mean I need to bring some scsipi file up to a certain rev, or what?

You have to put the drive into a special mode to read 2352 byte sectors, and
the method to do this is drive dependent.

There are a few pkgs that do this correctly for some drives, like tosha,=20
cdda, cdparanoia.

In other words: dd will most certainly not work.

Regards,
	-is

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9--