Subject: Re: KVA usage of old-style buffers
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2001 21:37:28
currently the UBC/UVM code uses MAXBSIZE, but that could be changed
easily enough.  the somewhat bigger issue is just that the default
MAXBSIZE has been 64k ~forever, so those few people that use
filesystems with a 64k blocksize no doubt expect that those filesystems
will work with a default kernel.  if we reduce MAXBSIZE to 8k,
then any filesystem with a blocksize larger than 8k won't work
until the kernel is rebuilt with a larger MAXBSIZE.

it'd be nice if we could have each buffer use only the KVA
that it actually needs, essentially getting rid of MAXBSIZE,
but that would be tricky to make work as time-efficiently as
our current buffer cache.  the current code has extremely fast
KVA management, but at the cost of using more KVA.

-Chuck