Subject: Re: pipe(2) and invalid fildes
To: James Graham <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2001 01:12:07
There's a lot of "fence sitting" going on in this thread and whilst it
may be convenient, it should stop.

I have not seen one good argument for leaving EFAULT in the man page.
A lot of bluster about how it makes it easier to be lazy now and later,
yes, but nothing else.

From the 1.5 man page for pipe(2):
     [EFAULT]      The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's
                   address space.

That does not document, correctly, the current behaviour.  Since it is felt
that the current behaviour is desired (ie. segmentation fault) then the
message about EFAULT should simply be removed and no mention of SIGSEGV
or similar made.

If at some point in the future our implementation of pipe(2) changes, then
at that time so should the documentation about pipe(2) change.  It is not
appropriate for man pages for system calls to attempt to be prophetic about
implementation or speculative about current behaviour.  man pages are
expected to be concise and accurate.  If anyone can demonstrate how the
mention of EFAULT adds to the accuracy of the man page, when comapred with
a version with it absent, I'd like to see it.

Darren