Subject: Re: bumping Linux emulation version?
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/2001 20:47:58
Hi,

Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> I have a problem with Linux/Mips emulation: most Linux/Mips systems now
> run glibc-2.2.4, which require a recent kernel. At program startup, libc
> calls new_uname() to check kernel version and terminates the program if
> it's too low.
> The minimal kernel version seems to be set at libc build time, depending
> on the kernel version. This is done in libc sources through the
> __LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION macro. It seems to me that this makes impossible
> to use the libc with an older kernel than the one that built it.

I won't yield to the temptation to take this as a nice opportunity
to bash Linux.

Gee, I'm really happy I'm using NetBSD and not the Linux mess :)

> Is there any drawback to bump the emulated kernel version to a really
> recent version, such as 2.4.0? Or should it be bumped only for Mips?

It can't be bumped until the rt signal support is written,
unfortunately.  Threads in Linux programs don't work quite ideally
currently, but I'd hate if it would be broken completely.

There is ongoing efford to write basic support for POSIX.4 rt signals,
but you shouldn't hold breath for it. Maybe you can bump the version
in your development tree only, and hope that at the time you'd finish
Linux/mips emulation, rtsig work would be done too :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!