Subject: Re: Loading DSP code from an LKM
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2001 13:24:51
--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:43:27AM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> Ah, thanks - that helps a lot.  BTW, I'm not really an IA32 person myself.
> I use Linux on IA32 very heavily, but my personaly preference is Alpha, a=
nd
> I have just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on one.  Also, I am trying to immerse
> myself in NetBSD as fast as possible for the consideration of moving some
> critical commercial software from Linux/IA32 to NetBSD/arm (StrongARM
> 1110).  So a concern about LKM's working there had me worried.  I hope I'm
> not in for a shock. :-)

Fwiw, there is very little that relies on LKMs. Stuff like the
driver in the original question uses them for similar reasons some
times, periodically some weird device driver that's not quite
working right yet is an LKM (I can't think of a good example right
off the top of my head), but nothing that I can think of in the
alpha or arm port makes use of LKMs.

Even if your commercial software is using LKMs for device drivers or
some such on Linux, these would probably have to be modified (at the
source level) to get them to work on NetBSD anyway, and it likely
wouldn't be necessary to use LKMs at all. (Linux uses LKMs/modules
for a lot of things that could be in the kernel but which they've
decided to keep separate in order to load them dynamically or to
avoid having to build a new kernel. The NetBSD kernel doesn't really
do this, leaning harder on the monolithic end of the scale.)

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--