Subject: Re: Loading DSP code from an LKM
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2001 09:43:27
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:18:12AM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  I guess I still don't get it, probably because I haven't read the
> > NetBSD kernel yet.  In a nutshell, how are NetBSD LKM's different from
> > Linux kernel modules in this respect?  I have done a fair bit of module
> > development in that environment and never encountered a problem like
> > this.
> >
> > Thanks for being patient. :-)
>
> Well, for starters, this isn't a problem in the IA32 instruction set, so
> that's probably why you haven't seen it on Linux. (To the best of my
> knowledge, none of the PPC ports of Linux have functional LKMs either.)

[good explanation deleted]

Ah, thanks - that helps a lot.  BTW, I'm not really an IA32 person myself.
I use Linux on IA32 very heavily, but my personaly preference is Alpha, and
I have just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on one.  Also, I am trying to immerse
myself in NetBSD as fast as possible for the consideration of moving some
critical commercial software from Linux/IA32 to NetBSD/arm (StrongARM
1110).  So a concern about LKM's working there had me worried.  I hope I'm
not in for a shock. :-)

thanks,
-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org                      Support the American Red Cross
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan                    http://www.redcross.org