Subject: re: Loading DSP code from an LKM
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2001 00:18:12
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, matthew green wrote:

>    I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question, but I'm a newbie
>    so I expect a bit of heat... I've heard this a few times on this list
>    and I'm kind of surprised.  What is the deal with NetBSD LKM's being
>    non-portable?  Is there really an issue, and if so, what is it?
> the problem is that the LKM's are loaded too far from the rest of the
> kernel -- so far that relative branches get truncated, so what happens is
> the LKM jumps to nowhere and goes boom.

Hmm.  I guess I still don't get it, probably because I haven't read the
NetBSD kernel yet.  In a nutshell, how are NetBSD LKM's different from
Linux kernel modules in this respect?  I have done a fair bit of module
development in that environment and never encountered a problem like this.

Thanks for being patient. :-)

-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org                      Support the American Red Cross
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan                    http://www.redcross.org