Subject: re: Loading DSP code from an LKM
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2001 15:56:00

   I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question, but I'm a newbie so I
   expect a bit of heat... I've heard this a few times on this list and I'm
   kind of surprised.  What is the deal with NewBSD LKM's being non-portable?
   Is there really an issue, and if so, what is it?

the problem is that the LKM's are loaded too far from the rest of the
kernel -- so far that relative branches get truncated, so what happens
is the LKM jumps to nowhere and goes boom.

however, simonb appears to have fixed this for mips recently, and there
may be similarly easy workarounds for other ports affected (arm and
powerpc to my knowledge.)

.mrg.