Subject: Re: Loading DSP code from an LKM
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2001 23:35:08
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:22:01PM -0300, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> > In an attempt to remove all of the GPL'd bits from my ESS Allegro-1 /
> > Maestro3 driver, I've decided to load the GPL'd DSP code onto the card
> > from an LKM. Good idea, in theory..
>
> Is the fact that LKMs are utterly broken on many ports (notably,
> anything based on a powerpc) a concern?

Ideally, I would contact the author of the GPL'd code and ask him or her
to relicense it for me. Unfortunately, the copyright holder is nowhere to
be found, so I need to do it another way. LKMs seemed to be the easiest
solution for me; if you can think of a better way to do it, please share.

Thanks,
Jared