Subject: Re: old SCSI devices that don't support INQUIRY
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Mitch Bradley <wmb@firmworks.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/18/2001 23:11:49
> > Well, disconnect/reconnect doesn't work last I checked.

I believe that's correct.  I don't think the sc host adapter even has
a connection to the ATN line.  As I recall, ATN wasn't in the spec
when I designed the thing.

> I've heard rumblings that the sc might
> have flakey parity handling, so I run with it disabled on all devices.

I don't know of any problems with the parity.  Again from memory, I
believe that it's generated from a simple TTL parity encoder chip.
But I could be wrong.  I may have a copy of the schematics, but if I
do, they are in a crate that is several thousand miles away from me at
present.  I'm in Australia for a few months.

The board is quite simple.  It's essentially all combinatorial
logic that's in one 20-pin PAL, plus a simple state machine to
handle the REQ-ACK handshake automatically when you read/write
the data register.  The DMA controller is something like 5 8-bit
counters; 3 for the address and 2 for the count.

> It might be a SYSGEN controller. Just. Say. No.

Aaaaaargh!  Bad memory.

Mitch