Subject: Re: old SCSI devices that don't support INQUIRY
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/14/2001 13:54:04
> > This controller is so simple, it doesn't look at the commands you ask
> > it to put on the wire - meaning it's not really a SASI-only or SCSI-1
> > only controller.  I usually have more modern SCSI-2 disks and tapes
> > hooked up and everything works fine.
>
> Well, disconnect/reconnect doesn't work last I checked. When I did
> the SCSI rewrite at Sun (aeons ago) I also did unified ncr (for the
> 5 different 5380 variants that Sun had) and the sc driver as well. I
> found it indeed did mostly work with a base disk driver that assumed
> CCS.

Cool, finally I find someone that knows the sc board! Ya, no
disconnect/reselect, and host can't initiate a message phase.  Can you
clear up a parity issue?  I've heard rumblings that the sc might
have flakey parity handling, so I run with it disabled on all devices.

> If you say it works with the current sd- and that the ACB4000 at the
> other end should work, that's good.

Yes, the sc does work with the current sd and modern drives.  I'll use
mhitch's patch to check for sure this weekend if the sc+ACB4000
combination gets a usable drive (beyond not doing INQUIRY).

> There are things beginning to creep in (like Synchronize Cache) that
> might send such a board into the weeds- you have to see what they
> do.

Well if we can confidently determine somehow at INQUIRY time that
we've got an old translator board (and which one!) and conjure up
a fake INQUIRY response, we should be able to add quirk entries?

> I don't think reading a sun disk label is right (for bootstrap reasons).

Ya, this was just a bad idea.

> But it sounds like this hack will work for the ACB4000. The MT-02 might be
> another issue (and, no, I no longer have any :-()...

My sun2 has a QIC-02 tape behind another kind of translator board. I'm
90% sure it's an MT-02, will check this weekend.

My old SunOS 3 installation has a usr/src/sys/sundev/scsi.h that hints
that the different translator boards return different numbers of sense
bytes - maybe we can use this to differentiate them?

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
http://mit.edu/fredette/www