Subject: Re: MAC address for PCI hme (Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/i386/conf)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/28/2001 08:57:42
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:

>> What about HME add-in boards?  It's gotta be in there somewhere.
>
> Not really, no. Sparcstations traditionally use the same Ethernet address
> on all interfaces. You have to set the address "manually" if you want
> to have two interfaces on the same physical network.

Don't you really mean to say "logical network", like a VLAN? I have lots of
multi-homed boxes here with the same MAC address on all interfaces (dumb as
that is).

$ uname
SunOS
$ eeprom | grep mac
local-mac-address?=false
$ pwd
/usr/include/sys
$ egrep "ether_addr.*address" hme.h
        struct  ether_addr      hme_factaddr;   /* factory mac address */
        struct  ether_addr      hme_ouraddr;    /* individual address */

Andrew