Subject: Re: ACL's revisited
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/26/2001 23:40:58
>Um, a side topic: what would it take to get an {,Open}AFS server running on
>NetBSD?

Aside from porting the server code ...

>I think I remember someone once saying that AFS stores data in extra
>fields in the inode, but NetBSD doesn't have enough spare fields. Could
>we use the "associated data" model (or the one-large-file-indexed-by-inode
>model) to hold this AFS server data?

When I looked at it, NetBSD had "just enough" spare fields for an AFS
server port (that's assuming you're not using the extra fields like the
NFS generation number, which would normally be the case).

>(BTW, has anyone released the AFS patches to OpenAFS in order to run
>an OpenAFS client on NetBSD?)

AFAIK, no one has done the work yet.  It's on my plate and at least one
other person's ... but hasn't yet bubbled up to the top of mine.  "Someday".

--Ken