Subject: Re: ACL's revisited
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2001 13:31:58
On 25 Aug, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> and it probably will need new filesystem or lot of tricks (which will slow
> down things) to have enough space for ACL data in inode
Wojciech, the days of 0.9 VUP (=0.9 MIPS) MicroVAXen with 9MB RAM and
67MB MFM disks running 4.3BSD UNIX are gone for more than a decade now.
I think we can afford a few disk and RAM bytes and CPU cycles for some
today state of the art features like IPv6, ACLs, ...

If you want real true blue BSD UNIX get a VAX, preferably a 11/780 or
8600, and run 4.3BSD-Tahoe VAX UNIX on it.* With that you will get rid
of all that bloat and non-BSD UNIX stuff that was adopted by NetBSD
since that days. (dyn-libs, mmap(2), NFS, NIS, SYSV{MSG,SEM,SHM}, ...)

* With a PDP11 runing some 2BSD release, you will get rid of virtual
memory also.

p.s. Don't get me wrong. I own a lot of VAXen and other historical *ix
machines like two MicroPDP11s. Some of my MicroVAXen are running indeed
4.3BSD-Tahoe VAX UNIX and on the HP9000 433t runns 4.4BSD-Lite2. Simply
don't expect that todays software will run fast on yesterdays hardware.

EOT!
--

tschuess,
          Jochen