Subject: Re: ACL's revisited
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/24/2001 16:41:12
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:28:54AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > There was a thread/debate about ACL's in April that kind of fizzled out.
> > Anything happening on it?
> > There are two issues:  ACL support in the kernel and ACL support in the file
> > system.  Kernel support is pretty straightforward; file system support
> > isn't.
> > I'm working on a project that needs kernel support (we're supplying the file
> > system).  How tough (and acceptable) would it be to port FreeBSD's kernel
> > support to NetBSD?
>
> NetBSD is unix. unix don't need ACL's.
>
> use windows NT for acl's

As discussed last time ACLs came up, just because *you* don't have a
use for ACLs does not mean that ACLs are useless for other NetBSD
users.

If a suitable ACL implementation was made available for NetBSD (e.g,
what's in TrustedBSD), I see no problem with it being added as an
option to the system, just like quotas, endian-independent ffs file
systems, and other such optional features.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@netbsd.org>
NetBSD core team.