Subject: x86 with 4GB -- vnode cache corruption?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2001 18:36:16
I have a machine with 4GB of memory.  After it's done ten or twenty minutes
of heavy disk activity, pages in the cache get corrupted.  This is
with -current as of yesterday.  If I build a kernel that only "sees" 2GB,
everything works fine.

The disk device driver I'm using does, AFAICT, use bus_dma correctly; user
processes' memory does *not* seem to get corrupted.  Eventually, the system
crashes in the filesystem code, unsurprisingly enough; where in the filesystem
code is pretty much random.

I suspect signedness problems in the i386 bus_dma or in UBC/UVM.  Is anyone
else successfully running a 32-bit machine with more than 2GB of physical
memory?  How about an x86?

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron