Subject: Config sugestion
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2001 10:18:15
Hi folks,

Since i had to configure a NetBSD/i386 system again I ran against a pretty
irritating and time consuming job : the machine had no PCI so i had to
manually comment EVERYTHING that was related to the PCI since the kernel
had to be small too.

Therefore I would like to think of ways of specifying these kind of global
choises in the configuration files... Options I considered are :

1) include #ifdef mechanism with variables that can be used
	# please put your configuration options here :
	#define PCI
	#define SCSI
	#ifdef PCI
		pci* at mainbus
		vga* at pci?
	#	ifdef SCSI
			scsi* at pci?
	#	endif
	#endif

	#ifdef SCSI
		scsi* at mainbus?
	#endif

2) use a top-level include mechanism for clarity
	include "pci"
	include "ultra-pci"

3) use a warning mechanism only ... i.e. dont consider them errors when
   some items are orphans ... just 'take the orphans to an orphanage' and
   cut the item / tree out of the resulting tree... a flag could be used
   to just treat them as warnings instead of errors.

Unrelated : I would like to see a more clearer output ... esp. when there
are errors.... a resulting device tree could be printed out in a structured
way (option?) :
	- root
	  +-- cpu
	  +-- mainbus
	  |   +-- pcia
	  |       +-- scsi X
		  +

Any ideas comments / suggestions / 'shut-up'remarks ? ;) ???

Cheers,
Reinoud