Subject: more changes to config
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mats Lidell <matsl@contactor.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/25/2001 14:55:46
Hi,

Background: I want to find the best way for a group of developers to
share the distribution but to be able to make customized kernels based
on configurations files etc stored locally within each developers work
area. As I understand the way to build kernels today this isn't
possible. Each developer must have his own copy of the
distribution. Right? If I'm wrong here please enlighten me.

I found in the archives, Date: 13 Jul 1999 20:33:42, a patch from
Johan Danielsson where he suggest a change to config:

Johan> Don't know where this fits in, but doesn't the following
Johan> changes make sense. With this chage I can actually build a
Johan> kernel without having to move stuff into the kernel source
Johan> tree.

Unfortunately there is no more articles in this thread.

Is there any subtle reason why this suggestion is a bad idea? Am I
missing something that makes it impossible to reach this goal simply
with a patch to config. It seems so natural to support building a
modified kernel from configuration files etc completely outside of the
distribution so it makes me wonder why it isn't possible already.

Yours
--
%% Mats