Subject: Re: libsa/loadfile.c
To: Bharani Chadalavada <bharani.chadalavada@nexsi.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/2001 18:20:06
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:13:52PM -0700, Bharani Chadalavada wrote:

 > Wiser guys please correct me if I am wrong.
 > I think basically, for a.out files, you would use dbsym (man 8 dbsym) to
 > copy the debug symbols to the ddb symtab space.

You are wrong :-)  dbsym is for special cases where you can't load symbols
from a boot program at all.  It was originally used for bootstrapping the
Sun 3 port, and may be used for ports like NetBSD/algor or NetBSD/walnut,
where the kernel is loaded directly by the firmware, and the firmware
provides no way to implement a boot program to load the symbols for you.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>