Subject: Re: /usr/include/machine
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2001 11:53:37
On Friday 13 July 2001 11:41 am, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <01071300161103.06989@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>
>
> chris@paradox.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > > But new arm ports are broken for one month already, and the consensus
> > > to fix the problem is still not made.
> >
> > Yep it's been a month or more, but I've not seen any complaints about it.
>
> I'm being annoyed for a month, but I cannot see where is the goal,
> so I don't know what is the right fix.

I would ask why you didn't say so sooner?  I only started looking into this a
couple of days back, if I'd known it was causing problems I'd have got on
with it rather than tinkering with pmap.

I believe that the aim of all this is:
That any arm binary should run on any arm architecture, without caring what
kernel it's on.  To achieve this the kernel exports a common set of arm
headers for both arm26 and arm32.

> > Anyway my currently list of problems is:
> > gnu/lib/libstc++/config - needs makefile tweaking to install _G_config.h
> > in /usr/include/arm (I'm not to sure if that's the best place as
> > currently arm26 is built with 2.95.x and arm32 with the intree egcs, so
> > they may differ?)
>
> It could be fixed by changing INCSDIR to /usr/include/machine, but
> arm32_drain_writebuf.c and arm32_icache.c under lib/libarch/arm32
> include machine/sysarch.h so they cannot be compiled.

I believe that these are arm32 specific so we can use arm/arm32/sysarch.h

> Anyway, how many people know the current status of these changes?
> Is there any discussion _before_ these changes were done?

status of which changes?  I've not committed any changes to userland yet to
do with getting the builds going.

> >  biggest pain with machine/param.h is that everything seems to have a
> > dependancy on it!
>
> IMHO, if machine/param.h can be shared,
> these ports did not have to be split.

It can't be shared fully, eg bin/ps needs NBPG which is different on arm26
and arm32, so this maybe a case of a sysctl to return it.  But there's a lot
of commonality between

Chris