Subject: Re: /usr/include/machine
To: Noriyuki Soda , Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2001 23:33:55
On Thursday 12 July 2001  6:16 pm, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> 	Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> said:
> > I disagree.  arm is currently the test case and leaving it as is will
> > cause us to find the problems and address them.
>
> If everything worked fine, it was ok.
> But the change breaks "make build" on even arm port.
> So, it should be backed out, at least until the problem is solved.
> Shouldn't it?

I disagree, I've heard no complaints about it yet (I was not complaining I
was asking for input on the issue).  Anyone running -current should expect
breakage when things are changed, if they want stability that's what the
releases are for.  I think some people (rightly or wrongly) expect current to
work for them 100% of the time, which it doesn't.

We're trying something new, yes it currently doesn't build, but it will do
once we've ironed out the issues.  The main issue being what bits of
usr/include/machine need to actually be made visable to userland that
currently aren't on arm.  And should some of this bits be sysctl's where they
differ on archs or between arm26 and arm32.

What we're aiming at is one day having a shared userland across all arm
platforms, this may take time to happen, but I believe we will have it
eventually.

Cheers,
Chris