Subject: Re: POSIX.4 real-time extensions?
To: Jarom?r Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@caldera.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/07/2001 14:29:00
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 03:00:03PM +0200, Jarom?r Dolecek wrote:
> How do other OS manage this, e.g. Solaris? (It seems Linux doesn't support
> this, at least I can't find any mention of aio in 2.3.49 kernel sources).

There is an patch at http://kanga.kvack.org/~blah/aio/ to implement
aio facilities that allow userspace to support the Posix AIO API.

It works by introducing a new, NetWare-inspired abstraction: worktodos.
Worktodos combine taskqueues (Linux´s way to get a process context for
a random kernel item) with waitqueue and thus allow very intresting
asynchronous kernel jobs.

	Christoph

--
Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.