Subject: Re: POSIX.4 real-time extensions?
To: Jarom?r Dolecek <>
From: Christoph Hellwig <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/07/2001 14:29:00
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 03:00:03PM +0200, Jarom?r Dolecek wrote:
> How do other OS manage this, e.g. Solaris? (It seems Linux doesn't support
> this, at least I can't find any mention of aio in 2.3.49 kernel sources).

There is an patch at to implement
aio facilities that allow userspace to support the Posix AIO API.

It works by introducing a new, NetWare-inspired abstraction: worktodos.
Worktodos combine taskqueues (Linux´s way to get a process context for
a random kernel item) with waitqueue and thus allow very intresting
asynchronous kernel jobs.

Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.