Subject: Re: Call for review: The New Block/Character Device Switch Configuration
To: MAEKAWA Masahide <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2001 01:05:31
On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, MAEKAWA Masahide wrote:

# Matthew Jacob <> wrote:
# >Okay, fine. Now how does this bind to special devices so that the
# >dynamic assignment maps to something usable in /dev? Or do you plan
# >to also provide a freebsd style devfs at the same time?
# Their implementation needs uid/gid hard-codings.
# I don't think it is a Good Thing. At least I will take
# an other way to support a dynamic devnode configuration.
# "Can we accept hard-codings?"
# It's the only essential issue for this, I think.

You only need hard-codings until the devfs populates and you can mount
the root filesystem at which point an /etc/dev.conf or some such can
be taken into account at some point during the boot process.

I don't think it's nearly so important as to which devices have what
permissions until you begin the transition to multi-user mode.

# --- MAEKAWA Masahide

NetBSD: The free OS with a money back guarantee!