Subject: Re: g/c mountcompatnames[] ?
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Jarom=81=EDr?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/2001 13:43:16
> I'd like to g/c mountcompatnames[] and appropriate COMPAT_* code
> which supports using fs id instead of name for mount. That code
> is getting maintanence problem and contains support for some
> filesystem types 0.9 didn't support at all. vfs_sysctl() would be
> changed to use the values from CTL_VFS_NAMES, so there would
> be just one place to make changes to, and only if that filesystem
> would support fs-specific sysctls. I'm appending the patch in attachment.

Is the maintenance problem simply that there are two tables that must
be updated when a new file system is added? That's a very small cost.

Dropping a compat option is not something to be done lightly. I would
say that it should only ever be done if the presence of the compat
code actively prevents another important change from being made. Mere
"cleanup" does not justify removing this feature.

        - Nathan