Subject: Re: audio(9) question
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: D. <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2001 22:13:34
On 25 Jun 2001 12:04:12 -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> This also says to me that the irq value written IRQ_CTRL needs to
> come from the front-end (we should also have an esl_isa one day, I
> know someone who has an old Compaq laptop with such a chip in it,
> attach to ISA).

Other than the initialization routine, the ESS 688/1688 are pretty much
the same as the 1869.

Please do NOT use the esl driver on one of those cards attached to the
ISA bus -- the whole point of this driver was to do it without DMA. PIO
mode is incredibly inefficient on this card it seems.

I decoded the MP3 I was testing to a wav, full quality. 'audioplay
foo.wav' output sounds "underwater-like" I guess would be the best way
to describe it. Maybe it's a big with my driver, but still -- this card
in PIO mode is firing interrupts like it's going out of style.

The 688 and the 1688 both support DMA modes of operation, and the
isa/ess.c driver should work with them without much modification. If I
can manage to get my hands on one (or if someone wants to send me one),
I'll gladly add support for them.

Jared