Subject: Re: audio(9) question
To: J. <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: D. <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2001 22:07:48
On 25 Jun 2001 14:37:28 -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
[ snip ]
> Just to clear up what's going on, the ESS x88/1x88 chips are made to
> be wired up directly to the ISA bus, and have four pins designed to be
> attached to the ISA IRQ 5, 7, 9, and 10 lines. This register controls
> which of those pins is used to signal interrupts. Since, in your case,
> the chip is on a PCMCIA card, and PCMCIA cards only have one IRQ line
> (which goes to the PCMCIA controller, not directly to the ISA bus),
> the designers wired the IRQA line to the PCMCIA IRQ line, which is why
> you have to program it this way. The "actual" ISA IRQ that this shows
> up as is controlled by the PCMCIA controller, and is handles over in
> pcmcia_intr_establish().

I guess I lucked out then -- the card happened to have been grabbing IRQ
9 anyway (that's why I chose INTRA) :-)

> Try this and see if it helps. I'm also curious what blksize and buffer
> size the audio system ends up using...

It's playing back an mp3 at 11025Hz, mono ! More than 3 seconds :-)
Thank you very much.

Oh, from the output:

esl_trigger_output: bklsize = 1088
esl_trigger_output: (char *)end - (char *)start = 65280.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! I'll clean up the driver a bit
more, fix the detach routines (removing and inserting the card into the
same slot fails) and send-pr it.

Inefficient as it may be, I think we're the only one to support PCMCIA
audio now :-)

Jared