Subject: Re: making all fd's point at vnodes?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/2001 09:40:09
On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 12:33:18PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>  5) nuke "ioflag"'s separate flag space; instead, merge the IO_* flags
> into the same flag space as the F* and O_* flags..
> (looks like the only "new" ones are IO_NODELOCKED and IO_UNIT;
> IO_APPEND==FAPPEND==O_APPEND, IO_SYNC==FFSYNC==O_SYNC,
> IO_NDELAY==FNONBLOCK, IO_DSYNC==FDSYNC|FRSYNC==O_DSYNC|O_RSYNC, and
> IO_ALTSEMANTICS==FALTIO==O_ALT_IO).

on a somewhat related note, I'd actually like to get rid of IO_UNIT
and change how we use IO_NODELOCKED.  I don't see why anyone would want
the !IO_UNIT case (and I'm not sure if we even use that now).

IO_NODELOCKED isn't actually examined by filesystem-specific code,
so it doesn't make any sense to be passing it into VOPs.  this one
probably should be separate from the other flags.  or we could just
rearrange things so that we can get rid of it too.

-Chuck