Subject: Re: console polling interrupts?
To: None <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/2001 21:54:17
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> Is there some way that you could
> disable/enable *just* the keyboard controller interrupt in cnpollc()?
> either at the keyboard controller or the interrupt controller?
>
> I know this is possible with the 8259 as used in a "normal" PC..  not
> being familiar difference between "normal" PC and PS/2 interrupt
> controller usage, I can't say for sure that it would work for the PS/2
> but it seems cleaner..

Yeah, this should work (the kbc in PS/2 should be pretty standard
8259 or very similar). I don't have docs for the 8259 and the source
doesn't seem to reveal any hints on disabling it's interrups (I searched
the code on the very start). How it can be done?

> On a related note, the interface would be cleaner if we split
> cnpollc() (and the underlying console driver implementations) into two
> functions (cnpollon/cnpolloff).
>
> Every single caller of cnpollc() passes a compile-time constant..

Yeah, it would. However, the gain is quite cosmetic. I'd probably
leave such change until after some other change to the console
polling interface would be needed.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!