Subject: Re: encrypted swap?
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2001 16:38:31
On 4 Jun 2001, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> > Oh, just you wait.  They're coming out with Copyright Protection on
> > hard drives; encryption is either part of that or won't be too hard
> > to implement.
> For all we know the copyright crap is just a finer-grained lock, with the
> underlying data still residing on the disk in un-encrypted form.

Um...maybe for all *you* know. :-) It is indeed real live encryption,
of the sort where if you lose a hard drive, you can potentially lose
data on your backups due to not having the keys that were on that drive.
It's called CPRM, and you get get a lot more information on it from
The Register. For example:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/17009.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/17419.html

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

She saw that he had singled her out from the three...for no reasoned purpose
of further acquaintance, but in commonplace obedience to conjunctive orders
from headquarters, unconsciously received by unfortunate men when the last
intention of their lives is to be occupied with the feminine.