Subject: Re: encrypted swap?
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2001 23:59:00
>When you retire a disk from a project:

>3. physically destroy the disk so that the platters are
>   in as many pieces as possible. (sledgehammer, C4, etc...)

Multics used to have a purge command (I think), that would let you
overwrite a file N times with various patterns.  However the advice
given to any multics customers asking how to recycle a disk containing
"sensitive" data, was to use a forge.  If the bad guys could spin the disk
they could recover the data.  Multics was only B2 as I recall, they also
had an A1 system (though what you could actually use it for I don't know :-)

--sjg