Subject: Re: encrypted swap?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2001 11:44:11
> Oh, just you wait.  They're coming out with Copyright Protection on
> hard drives; encryption is either part of that or won't be too hard
> to implement.
>
> This depends on how many people sign up for that nonsense.

The "copyright protection" stuff may not add any real confidentiality.

IBM already has password protection on their laptop disks, but as far
as I know this is just a "big lock" that prevents you from accessing
the disk through the normal channels if the password is set.  For all
we know the copyright crap is just a finer-grained lock, with the
underlying data still residing on the disk in un-encrypted form.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/