Subject: Re: encrypted swap?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2001 10:37:17
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 02:25:56PM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> In most cases if someone has physical access to the swap partition
> he also has physical access to the root partition with the encrypted
> passwords.  If someine has physical access to a disk you lose.  There's

Uh, what passwords?  Remind me again why you need to access the contents
of swap across a reboot?

Obviously, to encrypt swap, you generate a random key the first time you
push a page (not at boot time if you can avoid it; you want to have time
enough to collects some entropy first) and just throw it away when you
reboot.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron