Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/03/2001 17:12:57
According to wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net:

>this is no excuse for bloating memory.

Ridiculous.  If you want the option you turn it on and wear the memory
hit.  If you don't then there is zero memory impact.  According to
Jason Thorpe scrollback can be implemented with zero memory impact
anyway for i386/vga hardware.  I only hope that Justin will not be
discouraged by all the FUD thrown his way, have a look at what Jason
has said and see if he can make it work.  Console scrollback that is
supported _in_the_kernel_ is a desirable feature for some - a user
level terminal app just does not cut it when your machine has dropped
to ddb and you would like to see what information was printed just
prior to the panic.

> anyway i don't know what is
>"standard linux" for you but i have no problem to use linux on 5MB
>machines

I don't care to debate this but I suspect that any of the larger
distros (e.g. red hat) would fail to install correctly in this much
memory.