Subject: re: OT: screen(1) vs. window(1)
To: matthew green , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ku.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2001 17:09:34
One should also note the most annoying feature of window(1):

  It sticks a custom terminal definition into your TERMCAP env. vars.

This is annoying, since these variables don't get forwarded over secure
shell links.  (Yes, TERM gets forwarded, but...the window(1) termcap(5)
entry
is NOT even found in our own termcap database, much less the average
non-NetBSD system that you might connect to.)

I assume that there are some technical reasons why window(1) doesn't
emulate any kind of terminal that I've ever heard of---yet at the same
time, no one decided to add a termcap(5) entry for it.  But, I am unaware
of what those technical reasons may be.

(Would it be possible to let window(1) read a designated termcap(5) entry,
and use that for INPUT as well as for OUTPUT?)

Other than that, the ability to (re)attach to another window(1) session
with a new session would be nice.  I'm not sure how difficult it is to do
that.  (I know of at least one user who is using screen over window(1)
exclusively for this one feature.)

(But, this thread really belongs somewhere else than tech-kern, doesn't
it?  (^&)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu