Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Brett Lymn , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ku.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2001 17:00:40
The person that you mention did more than _suggest_ adding scrollback.
He sat down and implemented it, and provided patches against what was then
-current, I believe.  (I know that patches were available, and several
people commented favorably on using them.)

He did get a lot of people arguing over the topic.  Off of the list, I
tried to encourage him, since he seemed to be getting discouraged.
(Although I also tried to push him in what I thought was the ``right''
direction on a couple of points: Multiple buffers, one per virtual
console; compress out (essentially by RLE) leading & trailing blanks.
But, beyond presenting the argument once, I tried not to push him too hard
in the direction---clearly everyone who tried his patches was pretty happy
with them, and I expected that if he stuck with it, he could have got them
integrated.  That probably would have been a Good Thing, even if I would
rather have seen some changes.)

As I recall, he overcame a number of technical hurdles, and had the
patches done more or less to his satisfaction but I guess he just gave up
trying to please everyone (or even anyone) else.  It is understandable,
though unfortunate.  (I hope that I didn't contribute to his cessation of
work.  I tried to be more encouraging than opinionated...)

Depending on how much wscons has changed since then (and how much
OpenBSD's wscons varies from ours), we might do better to try to get him
to resupply his patches than to work with a port from OpenBSD.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu