Subject: re: OT: screen(1) vs. window(1) (was: Re: Patch to add console scrollba ck support.)
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2001 21:31:37

   [window(1)]
   > how usable is it with 8 sessions?
   I never used that much sessions. I use normaly only 3 or 4. But I don't
   expect any problems using 8 sessions.

   One advantage of window(1) is that it is included in the base system. No
   extra pkgsrc comiles are needed. The same for bash(1) vs. ksh(1). Since
   I discovered the capabilities of the pdksh(1), that is the ksh(1) of
   NetBSD, I never wanted to install bash(1) again.

one should note that screen & window are really quite different.  the former
provides N full screen (or split screen, for recent screen) windows, while
the latter provides N windows, of any size you like, including larger than
the size of the tty attached to (obviously, you can't see it all at the same
time in this instance.)  window also includes a relatively complete
programming language, yet it has a lot fewer features than screen does
overall.

.mrg.