Subject: Re: ELF binary recognition
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2001 12:15:01
Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Currently, if an ELF binary is not claimed by particular emulation,
> > it's run as NetBSD binary.
>
> This is a bug. It should be positively identified as a NetBSD/elf binary
> before attempting to run it.

Binaries are explicitly identified as NetBSD/ELF, and if it's so,
they are run under NetBSD "emulation" explicitly (see kern/exec_conf.c).
It's just that the current behaviour is to run ELF binaries which
are not recognized to be of any particular OS under NetBSD emulation.
My understanding is this behaviour matches what other OSes do.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!