Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/01/2001 17:33:19
On 1 Jun 2001, Johan Danielsson wrote:
> Then disable it on your 8M machines. It's not gonna waste less memory
> if it lives in user space.

theres a fundamental difference between userland and kernel. to shovel
things into the kernel that really havent a good need (a user not feeling
like running screen does not in my mind constitute 'need') to be there is
one of the primary causes of bloat, degradation, and overall reduction in
quality. any addition or expansion of features in the kernel _should_
(and _are_) be well-debated before getting in there.

> I'm pretty sick of these types of arguments.

why? they might sound monotonous after a while, but it is exactly the
same for someone of the opposite point of view to say 'im pretty sick of
these continual additions (or proposed additions) of fluff into the
kernel' and it would be exactly the same assertion.

isildur