Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/01/2001 12:58:33
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Mike Cheponis wrote:

# I find "natural" scrollback very helpful on other OSs.  I use screen all the
# time, yet saying that scrollback should not be in because we have screen is
# like saying we don't need jove in the ports because we have emacs.

This last one actually struck a chord over here, partly because I'm an
avid JOVE user, and partly because I submitted the package :-)

My comment on scrollback:  I'd like to see it there.  We've already gone
so far as to add wscons functionality (just like that other OS does).  We'd
be doing ourselves a disservice not to have the scrollback functionality
there.

I mean, come on, you guys are sitting here beefing it up about code space
and possibly data space.  I can't see it taking too much more in code
space, and even if you have (8 screens) * (8 pages) * (80 columns) * (50
rows), that's only 256k of data space.

That's not much in the grand scheme of things; of all the places for
256k of space to be "wasted", this is probably a good place to do it.

# -Mike

# p.s. OTOH, It would be nice if some different key sequence than { Ctrl + Alt
# + Shift + Meta + Cokebottle }  PgUp|PgDown -- like maybe just PgUp and PgDown
# -- were used.

You forgot "Hyper" and "Compose" :-)

Now the REAL boon would be getting wscons functionality into those ports
which use framebuffers, although admittedly that'd be potentially more
space used (but not if you only stored text and did a remap instead of
doing something completely boneheaded like storing the bitmaps :-).

				--*greywolf;
--
"Never mind the bollocks, here's NetBSD!"