Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/01/2001 14:49:40
[ On Friday, June 1, 2001 at 11:57:44 (-0400), Lord Isildur wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
>
> not really. It is generally a Bad Thing to uneccessarily put
> functionality easily provided by userland commands into the kernel.

In this case the functionality desired can only go into the kernel.

There's no other way to scroll back over kernel output if it's not the
kernel doing the buffering and scrolling.  Even worse is handling output
that was directed only to /dev/console (eg. by /etc/rc) (which is also
why there must be a buffer per VT -- I don't want to login on the
console and risk overflowing important stuff off the top of the buffer).

--
							Greg A. Woods