Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/01/2001 13:28:01
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> I have some fairly solid views on 'consoles'... I have, on occasion,
> found myself trying to resurrect a filesystem, even the one that has
> 'screen' on it, and wanted an additional console window.  I will
> occasionally manually configure wscons while at single-user mode so
> I can watch an fsck on one screen while working on something else on
> another.  I don't much like to rely on 'additional packages' when
> I'm in single-user mode.  Another reason I never bothered to learn
> emacs.  It's either 'vi' or 'ed' when absolutely necessary.
ditto.

> if I want scrollback on the console, I'll just use a serial console.    In
> fact, I prefer serial consoles anyway especially when it means I can sit
> at my desk and manage a machine in sweden.

i wholeheartedly agree. I use serial consoles wherever possible, and tend
to strongly oppose using any machine which cannot have its console on a
serial line. once that's how you have the console, things like buffering are
external to it, which is where they belong. Thats purelya terminal thing,
be it an emulated terminal in for form of an xterm, be it a VT420 with
page buffer, be it a printer (hehe) , whatever.

isildur